This topic is for new users of Syncplicity for Salesforce. It presumes you use the Salesforce Lightning user interface, but you can use the Classic UI, too.
Before you begin:
- Make sure your organization has enabled the Syncplicity for Salesforce feature for your organization's Salesforce. You only can log on to the the Syncplicity Panel in Salesforce when this is enabled. If not, an error message occurs when trying to log on and you must contact an administrator to resolve.
- Make sure you have a Salesforce account and a Syncplicity account. You can verify your Syncplicity account is working by logging on to the My Syncplicity online file browser.
Access the Syncplicity Panel in Salesforce
This topic describes how you can connect to Syncplicity from Salesforce to access the Syncplicity Panel. The panel is where you experience Syncplicity in Salesforce. This documentation presumes your administrators already have installed and configured the panel and have enabled the Syncplicity for Salesforce feature.
You need to log on the Syncplicity Panel the first time you want to access it in Salesforce. This connects your Salesforce account continuously to Syncplicity. However, if you don't navigate to the Syncplicity Panel for 21 days, your access expires and you are prompted to log on again when you try to display it in Salesforce. However, if you are using the panel regularly, the panel is available when you log on to Salesforce and navigate to it.
The panel is where you view and manage files and folders that have been synchronized in Syncplicity. You have read access by default to all files and folders that are displayed in a Syncplicity Panel associated with a Salesforce object, such as an account. You also can upload files, share files and folders, and create folders. These are files and folders that you own or that others own and have shared with you to collaborate on changes or communicate information.
The other topics in this guide presume you are logged on to Salesforce and know how to access the Syncplicity Panel for an object.
Connect to Syncplicity the first time
Use this procedure when you have logged on to Salesforce and want to connect to Syncplicity the first time.
- Log on to Salesforce.
- Click an object in the top toolbar. For example, click Accounts.
- Click a recently viewed item to open it. For example, click an account name.
- Click the Details tab. If this is your first time, you are prompted to type your email address. Depending on your account, you may be prompted for a password or taken to an authentication page where you enter your corporate credentials. Also note that your administrator might have enabled the panel to display on a different tab. If so, click another tab to be prompted to log on.
The following graphics show two possible prompts for entering your email address.
- When prompted, click Grant access. The Syncplicity Panel is displayed.
The next time you log on to Salesforce, you can access the Syncplicity Panel without logging on to the panel again. However, if you don't use the panel for 21 days, your access can expire and you are prompted to connect again.
Contact your administrator if an error occurs and you are unable to log on to the Syncplicity Panel. To verify whether your Syncplicity credentials are valid, log on to the My Syncplicity online file browser.
If no files or folders have been uploaded or shared in Syncplicity, the panel is empty like in the following graphic. See Tour of the Syncplicity Panel and Summary of actions in Syncplicity Panel for more details.
Although this documentation refers to the Syncplicity Panel by that name, your administrator might have elected to use a different name at the top of the panel. The panel name as displayed in the user interface is configurable.
About the panel
You can use the Syncplicity Panel in Salesforce on a desktop with a browser or the Salesforce mobile app. The following are panel features.
- Create and rename folders and subfolders
- Share folders
- Manage participants of shared folders
See Manage folders for details.
- Upload and download files
- Share links to files in Chatter, email
- Rename and delete files
See Manage files for details.
- Search files and folders with keywords
- Use search filters
Search only is available if your administrator has enabled it for the Syncplicity Panel. See Search for folders or files for details.
In addition, you can access Syncplicity files in the My Syncplicity online file browser (OFB). Actions you perform in the Syncplicity Panel are reflected in your Syncplicity account. For instance, log on to My Syncplicity. In the All Files view, there is a
Salesforce top-level folder. Using the breadcrumb displayed in the panel as a guide, you can navigate to the same folder in the My Syncplicity OFB. For every action you do in the panel you can switch to the OFB and confirm it has been replicated. The reverse also is true. For instance, if you create a folder under the same path in the OFB, you can switch to the panel in Salesforce and see the new folder there, too. See Using the My Syncplicity online file browser.