The Impersonate feature provides the ability for you to access the user's account and see it as the user sees it. You must be a Global Administrator or eDiscovery Administrator to impersonate a user.
A Global Administrator may impersonate a user to help troubleshoot any issues that may be occurring. For example, the user may need assistance restoring a backed up file or previous file version. Whenever a Global Administrator impersonates a user, the impersonated user receives an e-mail notification of the impersonation session.
An eDiscovery Administrator may wish to impersonate a user for the purposes of an investigation, where the administrator can access any files and folders by a specific user. However, the eDiscovery Administrator is a read-only role and cannot add or remove files, or change user settings. Unlike a Global Administrator impersonating a user, the user is not notified of the impersonation.
To impersonate a user, perform the following:
- Click Admin then click User Accounts.
- In the Mange Users page, click the specific user's name or Search for the user.
- On the right side of the Manage User page, in the Tasks section, select Impersonate user The user's account is shown with a highlighted banner across the top of the screen.
- Navigate the user's account. If you are a Global Administrator, you can perform any task necessary as that user.
- When done, click the Return to Console link in the banner.