The File Type Exclusion Policy allows you to prevent specific file types from synchronizing, or be uploaded from a Syncplicity for Outlook Add-in. By default, no file types are excluded.
You should exclude types of files that are constantly updated, such as a database file or Outlook PST files. Frequent updates cause high network bandwidth consumption where the file sync is constantly restarting due to the file being changed.
Individual users can also select file types to exclude; however, they cannot override the policy, although they can exclude additional file types.
This policy applies to the Windows and Mac desktop clients, Syncplicity for Outlook Add-in for Office 365 and Syncplicity for Outlook Windows Add-in. You can choose to apply different or the same policy settings to the Syncplicity desktop clients and Syncplicity for Outlook.
To access this policy and exclude file types, perform the following steps:
- Under the Admin menu, click policies.
- In the Policy Sets tab, select the group policy you wish to update.
- Expand Desktop Clients & Add-ins.
- Expand Configuration and locate the File type Exclusion Policy.
- Optionally, you can choose to use to have separate settings for the Syncplicity for Outlook Add-ins by unchecking the Apply to all clients box in the File Type Policy Exclusion section.
To have the same settings for Syncplicity desktop clients and Syncplicity for Outlook, make sure to check the Apply to all clients
- Enter all the file extensions in the field separated by either commas or semi-colons. Do not use the dot. For example, you can enter ai, dbf, qba, and vud. By default, a number of files are listed as excluded. You can remove those file types from the excluded field individually or use the Backspace key to remove a number of consecutive file types.
If you plan to exclude a large number of file types from multiple policies, enter those file types in a CSV file then copy and paste into the excluded field for each policy. Also, you can copy and paste the default excluded files listed in the Other Tasks column on the page should you wish to reinstate the default excluded file types.
- If Apply to all clients is unchecked, repeat the previous step for the Win Outlook Add-in tab.
- When done, click Save at the bottom of the Manage Policy Set page.
If you list a number of file types then choose the option to allow all file types, the excluded file types remain in the list should you select the Exclude option later.