Syncplicity Outlook Add-in for Windows allows you to email shared links to files that are too large to email. When you send a new email or respond to one, you can choose to upload your files to a special Syncplicity folder in your Syncplicity account instead of mailing them. The Outlook Add-in simply inserts links to the files within your email. When you upload large files, the Syncplicity Outlook Add-in uploads in small chunks, allowing large files to be sent efficiently as shared links, even when you are experiencing network constraints.
Additionally, Syncplicity for Outlook allows you to do the following:
- Configure the add-in to automatically upload any files that you attach to the email, or just the larger files and leave the smaller files as attachments.
- Add protection, which includes requiring users to log in to their Syncplicity account, enter a password (or both) to access the shared link.
- Email a shared link to folder (although, not a Syncplicity folder). The add-in zips it, uploads it to your account, then emails the shared link to the zip file.
- Set an expiration for the link to automatically expire after a specific number of days. After the link expires, it is no longer available for anyone to access the file.
NOTE: This feature is available for all Personal Edition (free) accounts. For all other accounts, your administrator must enable it. Also, your administrator may configure some of the Outlook Add-in settings, which prevents you from changing the settings.
IMPORTANT: The Syncplicity Outlook Add-in for Windows is not the same as the Outlook Add-in for Office 365, which supports the Outlook Web App (OWA).
Syncplicity icon and menus
Once the Outlook Add-in is installed on your system, the Syncplicity Options icon appears in the Outlook ribbon. To use the add-in, you must be logged into your Syncplicity account; otherwise, you are prompted to log in.
You can click the icon to view the Syncplicity menu.
- The Settings menu option allows you to configure send and security options, if not already set by your administrator.
- The Support menu option allows you to send feedback to let us know what you like or dislike, as well as review the tutorial and send log files if you are having a problem.
- In the New or Reply mail ribbon, you have access to the Syncplicity menu items that allow you to attach a file currently in your Syncplicity account.
Email Attachments folder
The Email Attachments folder contains the files that you attached to your email but elected to send as shared links. This folder has the following properties:
- The folder cannot be deleted or shared. However, the files in the folder can be downloaded, shared or deleted as you would any other file.
- The folder does not allow subfolders.
- Files cannot be uploaded to this folder, except from email attachments from Outlook.
- Files cannot be versioned. Should you upload the same file again through the Outlook Add-in, it is uploaded as a different file. Therefore, there can be multiple occurrences of the same file.
- The folder does not synchronize to desktop clients.
- The folder is not available to the Syncplicity mobile clients. However, the folder is available in My Syncplicity.
- Items in this folder count towards your account's storage.
NOTE: If you need free space, you can delete files from this folder. However, as with any file you delete in your Syncplicity account, any associated shared link will no longer be valid and recipients will not be able to download those files.
If you have not installed it already, see Installing Syncplicity Outlook Add-in for Windows.