The following instructions relate to the desktop client certificate installation on how to manually deploy a certificate, and possible problems during the Syncplicity client registration. Typically, your company administrator deploys and manages the client certificates for your Windows computer.
Check for necessary certificate
Use the certificate manager to ensure you have the necessary desktop client certificate on your Windows computer:
- Click Start on the taskbar, type certmgr.msc in the search field, and press Enter. The certificate manager window opens.
- Open the Trusted Root Certification Authorities folder and review the certificates in the right panel.
- If you don't have necessary certificate, request the certificate file from your administrator and install it.
- In Windows File Explorer, right-click the certificate and select Install Certificate.
- Follow the instructions in the Certificate Import Wizard.
- In the Certificate Import Wizard, select Place all certificates in the following store and click Browse.
- In the Select Certification Store dialog box, select one of the following and click OK:
- For the trusted root certificate, select Trusted Root Certification Authorities.
- For the user certificate, select Personal.
- Continue using the wizard.
Use strong private key protection (optional)
This optional procedure is performed in the Certificate Import Wizard. If you choose to protect your private key, the Private Key Protection dialog box in the Import Options group provides several options.
How the Enable strong private key protection check box works
Each state of the check box that can be clear or selected, means the following:
Clear - The private key is not protected by a password, and the user is able to add it to any download request without security actions.
Selected - The private key is protected by password. This means that each application requests the user's approval to use the certificate. There are two options of security:
- Medium security - The user allows an application to use the private key by specifying YES/NO in the request dialog box.
- High security - The user allows an application to use the private key by entering the additional password in the request dialog box.
To set strong private key protection:
- In the Private Key Protection dialog box select the Enable strong private key protection check box and click Next.
Private key protection options
- In the Choose a Security Level dialog box select High, or Medium.
- If High is selected, in the Create Password dialog box enter a password for the strong private key protection, and then click Finish.
Possible problem at Syncplicity client registration
The message, Navigation to the web page was canceled, is displayed when you click Cancel on the Choose a certificate dialog box during the Syncplicity client registration. To continue the registration process, restart the client application.