With Syncplicity's native editor or with your device’s Microsoft Office apps, you can manage Microsoft Office files. You can create, edit, or annotate Word, Excel and PowerPoint files with complete format integrity, regardless if you use Syncplicity’s native editor or a Microsoft Office app. Either way the documents you create and edit are synchronized in Syncplicity.
What is my editing option?
To check if your device’s current setting for editing is set to use Microsoft Office apps or the Syncplicity native editor.
Navigate to a folder with some Microsoft Office files:
- If Microsoft Office file icons are displayed, editing is enabled in Microsoft Office apps.
- If Syncplicity file icons are displayed, editing is enabled in Syncplicity’s native editor.
|MS Office icon
To use Microsoft Office apps with Syncplicity, your administrator must have enabled Syncplicity integration with Microsoft Office apps.
No setup is required to use the Syncplicity native editor. Simply tap on a file to open and edit it.
However, If your administrator has enabled Microsoft Office, a toggle is displayed in your device’s Syncplicity settings. This allows you to switch between using Microsoft Office apps and the Syncplicity native editor. Open settings and check whether Open Office Files in Microsoft Apps is enabled.
To access Syncplicity files in your Microsoft Office apps, add Syncplicity as a place in the apps on your device. Either way, you only have permission to view documents in Microsoft Office apps if you, or your organization, has a subscription to Microsoft Office 365. With a subscription, you can create and edit documents, and synchronize the new or changed documents to Syncplicity.
Using Syncplicity native editor
The following steps describe how to describe create and edit Microsoft Office documents using the Syncplicity native editor.
Create a document
- Start Syncplicity and tap FILES. The folders view opens.
- Choose a folder for the new document by tapping the contextual menu to the right of the folder or file.
- Select Add. The Add New Content menu opens.
- Select Create... → Create Document. The Create Document menu opens.
- On the Create Document menu tap the document to be created: Word, Excel, or Powerpoint. The New Document window opens in editor.
Save a document
- At the top left tap on the document icon to save the file.
- Tap Save. The Upload File window opens. When you save a file, you save it to the folder where the file resides.
- Enter a name for your file.
- In the Upload Destination specify the folder to save the document.
- Tap Upload File. The file is saved with the specified name and uploaded to the specified folder in Syncplicity.
Edit a document
Navigate to the file and tap it. The document opens. After editing, save the document. To save the document with a new name, tap Save as.
Using Microsoft Office apps
The following steps describe how to create and edit Microsoft Office documents in Microsoft Office apps. These topics presume you have a subscription to Microsoft Office 365.
Create a document
- In Syncplicity native editor: From settings, enable Microsoft Office > Open Office Files in Microsoft Apps. Create and edit a document. After saving, you can edit the documents by starting the Microsoft Office apps within Syncplicity.
- In Microsoft Office app: Open the Microsoft Office app. Make sure Syncplicity has been added as a place. Create and edit a document. When saving, select Syncplicity and a new or existing folder to upload the file.
Edit a document
- In Syncplicity native editor. Enable your device setting to edit Microsoft Office apps. Open the document in the Microsoft Office App (navigate to the folder with the file and tap it). After editing, save the document to synch with Syncplicity.
- In Microsoft Office app. Open the Microsoft Office app. Make sure Syncplicity has been added as a place. Open the document, select Syncplicity as the location, navigate to the file and tap it. If autosave is enabled, your edits are saved to Syncplicity automatically.