Administrators can deploy the Syncplicity Windows desktop client in several ways:
- Have users receive a welcome email and click the activation link in the email, which lands them on the client download page.
- Configure the Syncplicity self-signup web page for your account.
- Use a policy engine or other tool to push and install the Syncplicity client using the Syncplicity silent installer interface. For the procedure, see the Deploying the desktop clients using silent install article.
Deployment using the welcome email and activation link
By default, new users receive an email when added to the Syncplicity account. The email contains a link for account activation and then takes them to the client download page in order to get started with the Syncplicity account.
Clicking the link in the email takes the user to an account activation page where they enter their name to complete activation then they see the client download page.
The user logs in after installing the client and begins syncing data.
Deployment using the Syncplicity self-signup web page
The Syncplicity self-signup web page can be used if your account is configured to use SSO. Using this feature, the Administrator does not provision users through the Admin console. Instead, users are directed to a custom URL for your account where they enter their email address, optionally acknowledge your Acceptable Use Policy, and then receive an email with an activation link.
Once self-signup is enabled, Administrator can define what end-users must do in to signup for a new account, and what groups they will be members of once they complete the signup process. After changes are saved, a link can be copied that links to the sign-up page. This link can then be distributed to your company's end-users.
To create the custom URL and configure the self-signup web page:
- Select Admin → Settings.
- In the Manage Settings page, click the End-user Self-signup link.
NOTE: If SSO is not enabled, follow the steps to Configure Single Sign-On.
- Choose Enabled at the top of the page to begin configuration of self-signup.
- In the Allowed Email Domains field, enter the email domains from your organization that will be able to sign up for Syncplicity accounts.
- If specifying more than one, separate the email domains with commas.
- Wildcard (*) is permitted in the email domain names.
- If using Wildcard entry, ensure you only enable domains in your organization; if this entry is entered wrong you take a resit of permitting outside users to sign up for accounts in your Syncplicity configuration.
- The Acceptable Use Policy field is optional. You can paste your organization's AUP into this field. This field can be formatted using Markdown syntax if desired.
- The Group Membership field assigns new users to the Syncplicity groups that you enter here. This field auto-completes your entries showing the available group names that have been configured in your Syncplicity account. You can also click Add groups from my Syncplicity company directory to see the complete list of groups available to be assigned to new users. Group membership is optional. If groups are specified here, they are applied to all new users who use the self-signup URL.
- The Account Activation Email Custom Text field provides text that is added to the default Syncplicity welcome email. This may contain information about any internal resources you make available to Syncplicity users, or internal contact information for Syncplicity specialists in your organization.
- Click Save at the bottom of the setup page. This generates the Self-Signup URL, along with information about any storage quota assigned to new users as a result of the group membership you chose.